This looks like a mess. But oh, what a delicious mess it was!
With the addition of fresh orange juice, the French toast has a lovely citrusy fragrance that cuts the richness of egg and milk in the bread. Honey and chocolate sauce add even more flavor, and give it a sweet, sticky coating over the crisp, browned bread.
To make this orange French toast:
- Beat eggs and milk together.
- Peel and supreme an orange. Reserve orange supremes for garnish.
- Squeeze out juice from the remaining orange core and pulp. Add to egg and milk mixture.
- Dip thickly-sliced bread into egg mixture.
- Heat up a pan. Add oil (or some butter, for a richer flavor) and fry the bread over low heat till the toast is cooked through in the centre.
- Garnish and serve with honey and/or chocolate sauce.
Tip: Eat immediately while the edges are still crispy!