Chocolat N Spice

Yummilicious muffins

Yummilicious muffins!

To keep costs low, former hotel pastry chef Mary Chan opened her bakery selling upmarket cakes and muffins in the unlikeliest of places — a hawker center in the suburbs. Skeptics predicted her business wouldn’t last long.

But the knowledge of outstanding food spreads far and wide. And with low rent, the economic savings were passed on to the customers. It was not long before queues starting forming at Chocolat N’ Spice, the crowds snapping up delicious muffins at reasonable prices by the boxes.

Within 9 months, Chocolat N’ Spice was able to turn in a profit, and it now has a second outlet in downtown Tanjong Pagar. But it is also housed in an HDB shophouse, so rent is still cheaper than the neighboring commercial buildings. With prices ranging from S$1.00 to S$1.20, the muffins are a real bargain.

What I like about Chocolat N’ Spice’s muffins is that they are incredibly moist, soft, fragrant, and not too sweet. There are nearly ten kinds of muffins available, with the bestseller being the chocolate chip muffin. There’s something about the crusty chocolate rice top and molten chocolate chips inside that’s absolutely addictive. My other favs are the blueberry and banana walnut muffins.

Although they also sell other pastries like brownies, most customers come for its irresistible muffins which literally fly off the shelves. Queues are the norm, and are especially long at lunchtime with the office crowds out in full force.

I have given up trying to get my muffins on weekdays. Since I live near Tanjong Pagar, I go to the town outlet on Saturdays before 9 am. Advantage: I get to pick from the full range of freshly baked, fluffy hot muffins. Yums!

Chocolat N’ Spice

Blk 320 Shunfu Road
#02-12 Shunfu Mart
Singapore 570320
Tel: (65) 9383 0413

cheers!

Facebooktwittergoogle_plusredditpinterestlinkedinmail

Comments

1. Kath says

Personally think quite exp and taste ok oni.. kekeke.. and if u wanna buy, you got to KNOW how many you wants, and the flavor b4 Q-ing, coz if u delay, the sales person will show those ‘unhappy’ face.

2. says

i love their muffins! got my first taste just in apr 06 when my colleague bought it for tea break! i just wish they open one branch in the east 🙂

3. says

Hi Kath,
    Compared to other muffins I’ve tried, I think Chocolat N’ Spice’s are quite reasonably priced for its quality. Mrs Field’s muffins are also quite good, but if I remember correctly, it’s at least double the price?
    Hi snowystars,
    Not sure about a branch in the east, but I’ve heard that the owners’ plan to open a cafe in town next.
    Hi Stephanie,
    I think that oven should be materializing soon. 🙂 You’ll know when I ask you for muffin recipes!

4. Vanessa says

Hi Julia, great job on your food blog! I agree with Kath who commented on the service of the staff at the shop. Perhaps you should check out the new shop just diagonally opposite Choc & Spice called the Beccarino. They have just been awarded a cert from Food Map and their muffins are better than Choc & Spice!

5. May says

Hi, I have ordered muffins too from Pateli’s Web. Too bad, they don’t have a retail shop, theirs is online store at http://www.patelisweb.com
    Their holy muffins are great, without butter and low fat. comes with many flavours too. hmm, hope they will have a shop soon.

6. Mimi says

Hi, I agree with Julia, I tried the muffins at Beccarino and they taste really great, perfect muffin. It’s not too cakey, not too sweet (the choc n spice’s muffins are too sweet and kind of melt in the mouth like cake, so doesn’t suit my taste) Try Beccarino, you won’t regret it.